Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dale Earnhardt Jr... in a Hendrick car...

Well, I was somewhat excited when I heard that Dale Jr. was leaving DEI. That NASCAR operation hasn't been healthy since Dale Sr. passed in 2001. It was only a matter of time until it totally fell apart.

But the announcement came out today that Dale Jr. has decided to drive for Hendrick... Gag me!!! Dale Jr. in the same organization as Jeff Gordon (gag) and Jimmy Johnson (gag)! One major problem that I have with this deal is that Hendrick racing has some kind of monopoly on the week to week races... they've won 10 of the last 14. When they throw the green flag, it's just a race to see which Hendrick car will win. That creates no excitement what-so-ever. So, the thought that there would be more Hendrick winners is not appealing to me at all.

NASCAR seems to be on a mission to destroy any notion of interesting racing. The Car of Tomorrow seems to make the racing worse. They are eliminating good race tracks like North Wilksboro and cutting back on races at other good tracks like Darlington. These cookie-cutter tracks like Vegas, Texas, California are all the same and rather than creating good side-by-side, exciting racing, they just create a high-speed-parade (one car follows the one in front of it for 2 1/2 hours) which is totally lame.

When Dale Jr. announced that he was moving on from DEI, I thought "maybe this is the 'something' that creates some more interest on my part in terms of NASCAR.' But which this announcement, it drives me further to think "I can't wait until the NFL starts up again." NASCAR may have lost another fan.

Not that they care... they haven't cared about any of the fan outcry over the last couple of years since instituting the "Chase for the 'Ratings'" so I'm doubting that they will care now.

Oh well... At least I'll have the Bears in the fall and the Cubs over the Spring and the Summer.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment