Monday, May 03, 2010

First Day... First Challenge...

Yesterday was my first day at North Terrace...

And honestly, I spent most of the day a little overwhelmed. I have always worked hard to know the names of all the students in our ministry and last night I walked into a room where I knew very few names... for an obvious reason: it was my first day.

Knowing names has always made me feel more comfortable and since I didn't know them yesterday, I was really uncomfortable. (By the way... if for any reason, you don't know all the names in your student ministry, you need to learn them... make it a priority. Unless you're in a youth ministry of more than 200 or 250 students, you have no excuse!)

I'll learn them. It will just take a bit of time.

But I did start off last night with a challenge. Paul challenged young Timothy to set the example for the believers in his church (1 Timothy 4:12). I believe that our youth ministry can and should set the pace for our church. Paul challenged Timothy to set the pace in faith, life, love, speech and purity. I challenged our students last night to begin to see themselves as pace-setters in honoring God, reaching out to their friends, connecting with each other in relationships, growing closer to God and serving others.

That's the direction that we're headed and I'm excited. I'm looking forward to seeing what God's going to do through this awesome group of students!

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment