Saturday, May 29, 2010

Running update...

It's been a while since I updated on my running progress.

Actually, May was a really good month. Altogether for the month, I ran 32.3 miles. Which is a really good start towards the many (nearly 250) that I will complete before my first 1/2 marathon. (I'm planning to run the Akron 1/2 marathon in September... and maybe... maybe another in August...) I am officially 2 weeks into training for that 1/2... logged 11.09 miles this week.

I have (for the most part) adjusted to both the hills and the humidity of southeastern Ohio. The hills (I think) are making me a better, faster and more conditioned runner. That, I won't lie, has been a bit a struggle... the hills and the humidity. But I'll get used to them. And will be a better runner in the long run.

A couple of weeks ago I had a pretty major accomplishment. I ran the Susan K. Comen 5k for the Cure (cancer awareness) in Columbus with some friends. Thanksgiving was the last time that I had ran a 5k for time. I ran that race in 28m 38s. So I was hoping to just break the 28 minute mark. When I saw the crowds, I was not optimistic that I would be able to run my race, at my pace. But the crowd thinned out and wasn't as bad as I wanted and I ran a 27m 03s!!!! I was pumped!!! Not only that, but I ran with a seasoned marathon runner. When we got done, he said "You (Jim) were running as fast as I wanted to run..." I'll take that as a compliment!

My next race will be (unless something unexpected pops up) the Fireman's Festival 5k here in Caldwell on July 31st. It will be a nice little diversion from my regular weekly training... by then I should be running 23-25 miles a week. Should be fun!

On other hand, the dieting hasn't been all that great. I've been hanging around the 245 mark... sometimes 242... sometimes 250... It's been tough without Jackie here. She is my dietitian and my warden. She helps me know what and how much to eat... and gives me dirty looks when I eat too much or what I shouldn't. But she will be here this week and that will help (the diet portion) of my training get back on track.

It's been a good month. I feel good. I feel like my training is progressing and I'm looking forward to getting longer distances in.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment