Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Quick Running Tip Tuesday - Restart Slowly (3.13.12)

My bad folks for missing last week. 

If you know me at all, you know that consistency is a high value in my life.  Unfortunately, I was taking one of my last classes for my MDiv (Master's of Divinity) degree in Illinois and I just plain forgot.  I'll try not to let it happen again.

But there is some good news on the horizon.  I think that I'll be able to resume some regular mileage this week.  It's been over a month since I injured my quad with some quadriceps tendonitis.  Therefore, it's been over a month since I had any regular mileage.  It has been a long, hard month mentally.  It feels like a taper... if you are a distance runner, you know what I mean... without the expected race at the end. 

However, I got out and ran a couple of miles on Saturday and feel pretty good following.  I'm going to attempt another today.  I am praying and hoping that it happens.  Last time I tried the second run back failed. 

But here's the tip.  Restart slowly after an injury.

My temptation right now... and I shared this with a couple of folks Sunday at church... is to go out and resume normal running operation. Their response was that it would be a "bad idea."  I agree and mostly shared in jest.  Translation: I want to go out and run 10 mile runs like I was doing before the injury.  Bad idea.  If I did so, I would likely re-injure myself.

Give yourself permission after coming back from an injury to take it easy.  I'm hoping to get maybe 15 to 18 miles in this week (I was logging 33-35 a week before).  We'll see how the quad holds up and go from there. 

Take it slow.  Otherwise you'll end up back on the injured list!

Keep running friends (cause I'm hoping to see you out there this week)!
JC 

Disclaimer (if you're into that sort of thing): Jim is not a professional runner nor is this blog endorsed by any company.  These thoughts are merely the thoughts and experiences on one runner.  What works and what doesn't work from a practical level.  Jim hasn't set any records, but he's run a few races (Marathon: 4h 22m / Half-Marathon: 2h 3m / 5k: 22m 57s) and he's been around the block!

No comments:

Post a Comment