Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Boston Marathon

I have made no secret of the fact that as a runner, I want to run the Boston Marathon.

In light of Monday's tragedy, that has not changed.

I was sitting on my couch, waiting to go for a run with my wife, when the headlines began to come across my iPad as to what was unfolding in Boston.  Immediately, I began looking for report of what was occurring.  I had watched the majority of women's race and about half of the men's race and actively followed the races on Twitter until the conclusion of the elites.

The point at which the bombs went off is my favorite part of the marathon experience... watching the average runners finishing.  The TV crews don't care about that part... but watching the weekend warriors finish is a humbling part of being a runner.  Watching the weekend warriors, who have jobs, families, responsibilities, hobbies and still have time to devote to running, thrills me!

As I sat and watched the news coverage... a range of emotions welled up in me...

  • shock
  • disbelief
  • horror
  • anger
  • concern
  • passion
  • rage
  • sadness
  • questioning
I went out for my 6 mile run on Monday with these thoughts in my head (and ran the fastest 10k that I have run in a while).  As I ran, I thought: "I will run the Boston Marathon."  

And I will.  

Some runners never resolve to do that.  Someday, I will.  The events of Monday haven't shaken my resolve or determination to have a Boston Marathon jacket of my own.  

As I have watched the running community over the past few days... a variety of thoughts have crossed my mind...
  • pride
  • determination
  • strength
  • support
  • resolve
  • encouragement
  • will
The running community is an extremely supportive community... more supportive than any other sport's community that I'm aware of.  Groups have popped up on Facebook and Daily Mile... Banners have shown up on Garmin's website and others.  Folks are "running miles for Boston" and dedicating their upcoming marathons, half-marathons, 10k's, 5k's and trips around the block to those who suffered on Monday in Boston.  They have changed their Facebook profile pictures and Twitter pics.  That is determination and support!  

I'm glad to be a part of the running community!  I'm praying for those affected in Boston!  

JC


No comments:

Post a Comment