Monday, March 21, 2011

10 Miles Baby!!

Today, I hit a bit of a running milestone. 

The last time that I ran double digits was when I completed my first 1/2 marathon in Akron, Ohio on September 25, 2010.  So it's been nearly 6 months since I last completed a run longer than 9.99 miles. 

Being someone who typically looks forward to the next challenge rather than reviewing the past, I thought it would be fitting to take a quick look back... Before I charge forward with a couple of 11 mile runs coming up in the next couple of weeks.

(My Flying Pig Half Marathon training is going well... thanks for asking!)

Today, I ran 10.04 miles in 1 hour, 39 minutes and 18 seconds.  (Check it out on RunKeeper HERE.  And add me to your street team if you're a RunKeeper runner as well!)  That's a 9.53 minute per mile pace. On September 25 of last year, under race conditions I ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours, 6 minutes and 40 seconds.  (Check it out on RunKeeper HERE... unfortunately I had to enter it manually because Nike+ messed up on me...)  That's a 9.40 minute per mile pace. 

Now, I realize those number might not make that big of a deal... but to a runner... those are some gooooooood numbers.  That means that under training conditions... which are not nearly as adrenaline-filled as race conditions... I almost ran my 1/2 marathon pace!  Which is excellent considering how early in the year it is. 

Additionally... Today's run was only 3 seconds slower than my last 10 mile run (on RunKeeper HERE) and that run featured no hills (unfortunately it was entered manually after I gave up Nike+ and went completely to RunKeeper).  Today's run featured two of the biggest hills in town: Sunset Hill (which I did twice) and Woody Hill (which I did twice). 

Translation: 40 days until the Flying Pig Half Marathon (May 1), I'm stronger, faster, skinnier (weighed in at 236.5 today) and more prepared than I was 6 months ago!  It's making that PR all the more attainable.  Additionally, I'm hoping to do the Pig in less than 2 hours!  That would be huge!

Just thought I'd throw out a little look back as I charge into the last 5 weeks of 1/2 Marathon training!  Keep running runners!

Jim

TL/DR: Training is going well and my times are almost as good as my 1/2 marathon times!

No comments:

Post a Comment