Thursday, April 26, 2012

One, among many, of the things that I love about youth ministry...

There are a variety of things to love about youth ministry.  I get to work with teenagers... I get to see teenagers make decisions that impact their eternity and their present as they give their lives to Christ... I get to see students grow and mature over time and develop their leadership abilities... I love being able to challenge them and speak truth into their lives...

There is a lot to love about youth ministry. 

Today, I got to thinking about one thing that I love about youth ministry:
  • Variety

I have the opportunity wear a variety of different hats.  When I was a thinking about a career as an adult, I couldn't imagine doing the same thing every day, every day, every day, every day.  That sounded boring to me.  But working with students, I have a lot of variety in my week. 

I'm a (in no particular order):
  • Leader
  • Teacher
  • Preacher
  • Shepherd (reconnecting disconnected students... not literally working with sheep)
  • Video editor
  • Graphic designer 
  • Social media expert
  • Administrator
  • Treasurer
  • Coach (right now: Track... but also working with the football team and hopefully cross country)
  • Mentor
  • Van driver (and sometimes mechanic)
  • Athlete (playing dodgeball, basketball, volleyball, or whatever we're playing)
  • Game Director/Creator
  • Event planner
  • Worship planner
  • Lesson material creator
  • Counselor
  • Hospital chaplain 
  • Pop culture expert
  • (and more that I can't think of right now)
Sometimes it's nice to be known for that one thing that you do and do well (like a baseball team's "closer").  There are times when I think it would be nice to only work within my wheelhouse in my giftedness (leadership, teaching and administration).  But then, I'd miss the variety. 

So far today... and it's only 11:15 am.  I've driven a van... processed attendance from small groups last night... challenged my volunteer team (leadership)... edited some event invitations (graphic designer)... edited some videos (for this weekend)... And I haven't even had lunch yet. 

One of the things that I love about youth ministry is the variety! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this... feel free to comment below!

JC



No comments:

Post a Comment