Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Quick Running Tip Tuesday - Set A Goal (May 1, 2012)

(Apologies folks... I haven't been as regular with this column this month as I intended to be.  I pray that you'll forgive me. )

This beauty is what is currently in my sights. 

This weekend is the Cap City Half Marathon in Columbus, Ohio.  I kinda ended up in this race by accident.  Through a couple of conversations with a friend who was "kinda" running, he decided to sign up for his first half marathon.  Since I was encouraging him to consider doing a race and he registered, I thought it was only fair that I join him.  So I did.  I set a goal for this training cycle.

While this training cycle has been difficult to say the least (quad issues... back issues... time issues... ugh!), I have this goal in mind: Finishing the Cap City Half Marathon on May 5, 2012!  While it won't be the celebration that I had hoped for, it's still my goal.

Today a friend posted on Facebook that he was planning to run a half marathon next year.  My first question was: "Great! Which one?"  I wanted to see how focused and intentional he was.  

You've gotta set some goals.  Goals are good in every area of our lives... but especially in running.  There are plenty of goals in running:
  • Finishing a 5k
  • Running a mile
  • Running 10 miles
  • Finishing a Half Marathon
  • Finishing a Full Marathon
  • Shaving 1 minute off your 5k time
  • Completing a speed workout without throwing up
These are all good goals... and I'm sure you can think of some more... but you've got to have one/some.  You've got to set your sights on something.  I've heard many times, and it's true about running as well, that those who aim at nothing hit it every time. 

So... what should you as a runner do? 
  • Set out a training plan
  • Change your eating habits
  • Register for a 5k, 10k, Half or Full Marathon
  • Make a plan and do it!
  • Set a goal
  • Start
Let friends and family members know what you're doing so they can encourage you and keep you accountable.  Then go for it! Go after that goal with all you have to offer!

Keep running friends!
JC


Disclaimer (if you're into that sort of thing): Jim is not a professional runner nor is this blog endorsed by any company.  These thoughts are merely the thoughts and experiences on one runner.  What works and what doesn't work from a practical level.  Jim hasn't set any records, but he's run a few races (Marathon: 4h 22m / Half-Marathon: 2h 3m / 5k: 22m 57s) and he's been around the block!



1 comment: