Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Help me... As We Help Others!

It has been an extremely hot and dry summer... possibly one of the hottest in a while.  As a runner, this has been both a blessing and a curse.  It's been a blessing because the weather has been pretty consistent: sunny and hot (the absence of rain is good for training).  But it's been a curse because I have consumed so... much... water...

I don't know about you, but I often don't think twice about going into the kitchen, turning on the faucet and filling up my glass. What continues to amaze me is that there are still millions around the world who don't know what that feels like.  Because they don't have access to ANY clean water.

What they are forced to drink is dirty at the least... contaminated with deadly bacteria at the worst.

That's where Active Water is trying to step in. 

Active Water is a nonprofit group of endurance athletes (folks who run marathons, half-marathons, triathlons, etc) who are dependent on water for their training who are trying to help provide clean, drinkable water for families around the globe who don't have access to clean water.

You might be thinking... "What can a little bit of money donated help in the face of so many without water?" Well:
  • $25 will provide one Africa with clean water for the rest of his or her life! 
  • $85 will provide one family with a bio-sand filter which will provide their whole family with clean water for 20 years! 
  • $4,000 will provide a clean well for an entire village!
So... even a little bit goes a long way!


So... here's what I'll do! I've been doing the hard work all summer... running... training... sweating... and preparing for the Chicago Marathon on October 7th.   I've joined Active Water's Team Chicago for the Chicago Marathon.  Together: We are trying to raise $40,000 for clean water in Africa.  I will go out and run the 26.2 miles of the Chicago Marathon.

Here's what I'd like to ask you to prayerfully consider: Go over to my donation page and make a small donation to Active Water.  I am setting a goal of raising $1,000 to help my team reach it's $40,000 goal.  Even a small donation: $5... $10... would be awesome!  If you can make a larger donation: $20... $50... $100... that would be awesome as well!

All the money that I collect goes to Active Water... none is kept by me.  Let me say that again: 100% of what I raise goes directly to Active Water.  It's all about providing water for those without.  If you would rather not make an online donation and would rather hand me you donation, I'd be happy to donate it for you.  It's all about clean water!

Will you help me???
Will you help Active Water???
Will you help a few of the millions in Africa without clean water???

Pledge:
I just thought of this... this might be a bit goofy... but it could be cool as well.  For everyone that donates to Active Water... I will write your name on my legs or arms in black marker for the race!  While you can't be personally with me, your support will carry me through the race and I'll carry your name on my body! The more you donate... the bigger and darker the letters!!!  Who's in?

Let's do it! Go HERE to donate!

Jim



No comments:

Post a Comment