Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Quick Running Tip Tuesday - Honor the Rest

Exodus 20:8-10
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work...

One of the instructions that God gave to his people was an expectation of rest.  God knows us.  He knows that we will work non-stop if we are allowed (some of us will...).  So he expected his people to take one day off per week. 

Last week was a hard week for me as a runner.  Last week was an intentional mileage cut back week.  I build a couple of these into my marathon training plan when my mileage gets really high (for me).  It gives me a bit of a mental break.  It gives my legs and muscles a bit of a break as well.  But it's so hard to cut back.  It's so hard when my mileage is high (54 miles the week before and this week) to not run that many miles.  When I'm used to running 12 to 20 mile runs to only do medium 9 to 12 mile runs. 

But I must. 

If I want to stay healthy... I must rest. 
If you want to stay healthy... you must rest. 

It's not a suggestion... It's not a good idea... It's a command. 

In the midst of marathon training... I take one day a week off (Thursdays).  No running... No walking... No nothing.  I throw in a couple of cutback weeks at the height of mileage.  Your body needs the rest and the break.  Your minds needs it too! 

Keep running friends!
Jim

Disclaimer (if you're into that sort of thing): Jim is not a professional runner nor is this blog endorsed by any company.  These thoughts are merely the thoughts and experiences on one runner.  What works and what doesn't work from a practical level.  Jim hasn't set any records, but he's run a few races (Marathon: 4h 22m / Half-Marathon: 2h 3m / 5k: 22m 57s) and he's been around the block!

No comments:

Post a Comment