Monday, January 28, 2013

Something I hope I never have to do again...

I did something last week that I hope I never have to do again...

I attended the visitation... funeral... and graveside for one of my students, Gable Connors.



In 12 years of youth ministry, I've never had to do that.  I hope that I never have to again.  Gable was a bright kid.  He was an incredible athlete.  He was a great student.  He had everything going for him.  All of that was cut short.  He left behind a couple of devastated parents and an overwhelmed older sister, who is a freshman in our group and a lot of questions.

It was a hard week last week for our youth ministry.  Many of our students asked questions that I didn't have answers for... no one does... Questions like "Why? Why now? Why him?"  Unfortunately, many of those questions don't have answers.

It was a hard and emotional week.

But in the midst of that sadness and emotion, I could take comfort in Jesus' words from John 11:
"25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die." 

While I don't have answers to many of those questions, I know the One who does.  My faith... my hope... my trust is in the One who is the Resurrection and the Life... in the One who has conquered death and the grave.  

That's what I'm holding onto... 

Jim



No comments:

Post a Comment