Monday, February 11, 2013

5 Things I Love about Running


Man!

I had a great run today!  I mean, really, really good.  Just in case you're wondering, I ran 6.1 miles in 53 minutes (check out my data on Daily Mile at the link to the left).  So I felt really, really good.

This winter has been a tough running winter.  The weather has been cold... we have had more snow that last year... plus, having a son has added some complications to this year running-wise already.

But I love running still!  Here are a couple of reasons why:

1.  I love the challenge of doing something hard.  There are a lot of things that are easy in life.  Running... especially running distance (half marathons and full marathons)... is hard.  I like feeling like I accomplished doing something hard... something that not everyone has done.

2.  I love the exercise.  I love getting out and pushing my body and feeling good.  Plus, I don't feel quite as guilty when I roll through an entire pizza for dinner... :)

3.  I love the community.  I had no idea what the running community was like until I started.  Runners are accepting... encouraging... loving... challenging... devoted... among so many other things.  I love the #runchat community and have blogged about it often.  But even running down the road, when I see another runner, there is a smile, a nod or a wave.  We're in this together!

4.  I love the "head-space."  My wife knows that if I haven't been out for a run in a while due to weather or injury, she knows that she needs to get me out there.  She will even rearrange her schedule so I can run.  She knows that I need that time out there mentally.  There is something head-clearing for me about being out there.  I grab my shoes and iPod and I'm alone in another world for a while to think, pray, plan, mentally write and other important things.

5.  I love the accomplishment.  I love crossing the finish line... doing something difficult... and finishing!  I love putting that medal around my neck, whether its a local 4-miler or the Chicago marathon, I love finishing.  I love hanging that shadowbox on my wall with my medal and pictures and knowing that I did it!

There are so many other things that I love about running... but these are just a few of them.  If you love running too, put your favorite aspect of running in the comments below.  I'm interested in what you love about running!

Keep running friends!

JC


No comments:

Post a Comment