Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Stepping back from the Blue Ridge Marathon...

Last August, I declared here on this blog that I was signing up to run America's Toughest Road Marathon: The Blue Ridge Marathon.  Until about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I was still planning on it...

But I've decided to take a step back from this race.

Three reasons:

  1. My son Myles was born 2 weeks ago yesterday.  Because of Myles' arrival, I've been trying to spend some extra time at home.  I spent some extra time in the hospital when Myles came.  Before that, doctor's appointments and other things slowed down my ability to train.  While I still want to run... and will be signing up for another marathon soon (probably in early June)... I want to spend some time with my son!  
  2. This winter has been difficult to train.  Extra snow this year... ice... wind... cold temperatures... have made training difficult.  Currently I do not have a treadmill, therefore it's outside or no run.  That's forced me to miss quite a few runs.  
  3. Some ministry challenges have forced me to invest additional time with our students.  A few things have come up over the past month of so that has required taking some energy from training and invest it in ministry.  
  4. I'm trying to avoid injuring myself.  Due to the shortness of time before the race (April 20th), I don't have time to adequately ramp up my mileage without hurting myself.  Since I have other goals to accomplish this year, I'm stepping away from this one.  
The Blue Ridge Marathon is a great race!  I am keeping it on my list of races I want to run and I will run it down the line.  For right now, where I'm at, I need to take a step back.  

If you aren't signed up for the Blue Ridge Marathon, there's still time!  Head over and get yourself signed up! 

JC




1 comment:

  1. That had to be a tough decision, but it looks like your priorities are in the right place. You'll get 'em next time around.

    ReplyDelete