Sunday, February 04, 2007

Chestnut was a great place for skiing... but at 2 degrees?

Friday night's Ski Trip to Chestnut was pretty good. The skiing wasn't too bad... too many snowboarders carving it up at times.

But a couple of things about that event in retrospect.
First, skiing by yourself is fine for about an hour. All the adults who attended refused to go out and ski. In fact, they didn't even get lift tickets. Which left me as the only adult from our group skiing, which meant that I skied alone. Which was cool initially, but when you've got no one to talk to and no one to push you to try new stuff, skiing alone gets stale pretty quick.

Second, it was about 2 or 3 degrees above zero all night, the wind was blowing and a light snow was falling. IT WAS COLD! But actually the best part of the night skiing-wise for me was from about 2:30 am until about 3:30 am. Many of the kids had frozen out and were inside, so the slopes were pretty clear. And the light snow was beginning to freshen up the slopes. But it was getting windy. But still... pretty darn cold.

Finally, a 3-hour bus ride at 4:00 am is hard on the neck. It was impossible for me to get comfortable enough to sleep. But that's part of it I guess.

All in all... it wasn't a bad trip. In fact, from what I saw of Chestnut, I liked it. I would love to go back and ski it during the day, with some friends and when it wasn't so cold.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment