Thursday, January 15, 2009

Boring?

Someone a while back turned me onto Seth Godin's blog. Seth writes about marketing and business strategies. For me, there are quite a few crossovers for marketing (Starbucks for instance) and Youth Ministry.

This morning, I was reading his post on boringness. (You'll find it HERE.) There are a couple of things in there that got me thinking. So, I printed it out to think about it over the course of the day.

Here's what got me thinking:
"If people aren't discussing your products, your services, your cause, your movement or your career, there's a reason. The reason is that you're boring... You don't get unboring for free. Remarkable costs time and money and effort, but most of all, remarkable costs a willingness to be wrong. Remarkable is a choice."

Some of the questions that I'm thinking about... obviously no answers here/yet...
  • Are we boring?
  • Are people talking abou our student ministry and we aren't hearing it?
  • Are we boring?
  • If so, what can we do about it?
  • How do we make that choice to be 'unboring'?
  • What is involved in making that choice?
  • What is the difference on that occasion between hype and health? (I can draw a crowd with free pizza or free Starbucks, but does that draw the right kind of crowd and will they stay if there isn't something 'hype-worthy' to stick around for?)
  • Are we boring?
Again... Just questions...
Maybe later I'll post answers... if I find some...

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment