Saturday, July 18, 2009

Home from camp!!

Man...

What a long but enjoyable week at Rock River Christian Camp.

I always enjoy weeks of middle school camp. Several reasons go into this, but the two primary ones are personal ones for me. I gave my life to Christ when I was in middle school and at camp (Round Lake Christian Assembly in Ohio) and I committed my life to fulltime Christian Service at a week of middle school camp (again at Round Lake).

So for me, middle school week of camp is always a reminder of what I do and why I love it (although it can be very frustrating and disheartening at times).

Last week was a great week. Aside from being tired and sleeping on a bunk in my sleeping bag, the week was pretty great. Here are a couple of my favorites for the week:
  • Shooting water balloons with a slingshot during freetime at campers... some aware... but some unaware of their impending doom
  • Watching middle schoolers go crazy (for the Lord) during worship
  • Leading a dorm discussion with nine middle school guys on the topics of homosexuality and sin... only to be followed directly 10 minutes later with 25 dumb blonde jokes and 325 "yo momma" jokes... and that's no joke.
  • Talking with students about their relationship with Christ... some of which go to our church and others of which I may never see again
  • Playing water baseball
  • Taking a nap in the afternoon... and then getting up and going to canteen for candy and soda
  • Seeing 3 students give their lives to Christ and get baptized.
It was a great week of camp. And a great reminder of what youth ministry can be and why I love it so much.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment