Monday, February 28, 2011

Running update... 60 days til the Pig!

Tomorrow, it will be 60 days until my next race.

I realized tonight that it's been a while since I've done a running update and with the Flying Pig Half Marathon looming 60 days out, things are beginning to fall into place. 

My running schedule has maintained a good intensity in February despite the weather (you can see a good progression on my runkeeper graph... the red is some cycling I have done at the gym).  One of the difficulties of running in Southeastern Ohio is that some weeks: the weather is great!  Others: not so good.  Being primarily an outside runner... temperature, precipitation and and wind conditions make a big difference.  My averages are looking good though... Feb 6: 18.4 miles - Feb 13: 21.9 - Feb 20: 19.7 (I threw in an extra run the week of Feb 13... because it was 60 degrees one night when I wasn't supposed to run... but I couldn't resist).  On a side note, I have landed a seasonal membership at a local gym where I get in some short runs on the treadmill if I can't run outside.  That's helping!  Especially for speed workouts and tempo runs.

Another positive note, as of today... My daily average for running (even counting days off) is 1.95 miles a day.  That means if I maintain this pace... and my overall distance will increase greatly after the 1/2 when I begin my marathon training... I will run 710 miles for 2011.  My goal for 2011 is 750!  So... overall... even though my January was very sluggish (being sick... bad weather... etc), my average is great!

Overall... my weight is beginning to come back down with regular long distances.  As I go into the next 60 days, I'm beginning to watch my diet, count calories and monitor and increase my water intake.  Additionally, I'm going to begin to take some additional vitamin D after a sports medicine clinic I attended over the weekend.  That should help!

All in all... I'm happy with my progress towards the Flying Pig half marathon on May 1st.  I'm hitting a lot of hills in the area and feeling confident about my ability to run the 1/2 in under 2 hours!  Trying to keep running and staying healthy!  If you want to follow me on Runkeeper, check me out HERE!

Keep running friends!

Jim


No comments:

Post a Comment