Sunday, May 17, 2009

On being a best man...


This weekend was a great weekend.

I was honored and humbled to stand up for my best friend growing up as his Best Man. I was also humbled to be handed the microphone at the reception. As someone who speaks a lot (a couple of times every weekend), I love to speak and feel comfortable on stage with the mic. But this weekend at the reception, I was seriously nervous. I haven't felt that way about a speaking engagement for a while.

But one of the great things about this weekend is that I thought about things that I haven't thought about for a while.
  • church camp... when Dale Harlow, my youth minister growing up tried to convince 5 of us that Jason from Friday the 13th was coming to get us. Brad Davis and myself ran like little girls, another of group fell down and cried like a little girl while Aaron, the groom this weekend, planned to stand his ground.
  • travels with our church... Orlando... Indianapolis... all those trips to Columbus... Cincinnati and other Bible Bowl spots along the way.
  • a trip to Kings Island in Cincinnati with some buddies from college.
  • taking a road trip and listening to the Macarena on the radio... and thinking it was 'cool!' Man, were we wrong.
It was like a tidal wave of thoughts, memories and conversations washed over me this weekend. Thoughts from the past... thoughts of the future... and good times in the present.

It was amazing to stand up for my friend. I would do again... a million times.

What an honor!!!

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment