Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quick Running Tip Tuesday - January 17

I hate running in the rain.

It seems to me that running in the rain is one of those things that polarizes the running community.  Some love it and can't wait to get out and splash in the puddles.  Others hate it and would rather skip the run than get wet.  I find myself in the running later.

I do not like running in the rain.  Bottom line: If I am not planning to get wet, I don't like getting wet.

But I found something... purely by accident... a few weeks ago that makes running in the rain more bearable.  This thought dawned on me a couple of days ago as I was running (in the rain): I must share it.

Anyone who is around me for any length of time knows that running is a passion of mine.  I love to talk about tricks and tips, what is working and what isn't with those who run.  So I decided to start putting out some thoughts.  I'll post these on Tuesday around lunchtime.  Just quick tips of things that I've found that work or things that don't.  In many cases, these aren't things that anyone taught or showed me (if they do, I'll give them all the credit).  They are simply things I stumbled on myself.  I'm not claiming to be original or a genius (I actually just had to spell check genius) or anything.  Just sharing what I've learned from running around the block a few times.  

I've found over the past couple of weeks that a hat (the one pictured is actually mine) makes running in the rain more bearable.  It seems hard to believe... but the fact that rain isn't hitting me directly in the face makes it more tolerable.

I'm not a hat person.  I have a few trusty Cubs hats that I will wear from time to time.  But by in large, hats make my head itch.  So I skip them.  I picked up this Adidas hat at an outlet store for about $12.  It is elastic and technical in fabric so it wicks sweat away.  And it does wonders for keeping the rain out of my eyes.

Additionally, I've started wearing it every time that I run.  It's just part of mentally preparing for the run.  When the hat goes on the head, I run!

Maybe it will help you, maybe it won't.

Keep running friends!

Jim



Disclaimer (if you're into that sort of thing): Jim is not a professional runner nor is this blog endorsed by any company.  These thoughts are merely the thoughts and experiences on one runner.  What works and what doesn't work from a practical level.  Jim hasn't set any records, but he's run a few races (Marathon: 4h 22m / Half-Marathon: 2h 3m / 5k: 22m 57s) and he's been around the block!



No comments:

Post a Comment