Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Quick Running Tip Tuesday - January 24

Last week I started a new running segment here on my blog called "Quick Running Tip Tuesday."  (Here's a link to last week's.)  Nothing monumental... Just some thoughts about what has worked for me and may help you.

In line with last week's thoughts on hats and rain, I thought I would share a little tip that will save you some money in the short term and the long term.

When I started running a couple of years ago, I began using the Nike+ app on my iPhone.  It was simple and easy.  I liked having my iPhone with me for the music and in case I got lost.

But after ruining at least one iPhone and nearly ruining several others, I downgraded to a cheaper option: an iPod shuffle.  They usually run about $50 new... or $35-$40 used on eBay.  Which might seem like a lot... but compared to $400-600 for a new iPhone, that's cheap. 

I still ran into a problem.  When I ran in the rain, which I don't like, but often have to do to keep up with my training, what do I do to protect my iPod.  While it's cheap, I'd rather not have to replace them every other week.  They really don't make a waterproof case that I could find that I liked for running for my iPod shuffle.  So I improvised.

With a rubber band and a cheap zip-lock sandwich baggie, I created my own case.  I plug in my headphones and put the iPod about 3 or 4 inches down inside the baggie.  Turn on the iPod and put it on the correct playlist (another blog post for another day).  Then zip up the top securely around the headphone cord.  Then wrap the baggie around it and wrap the rubber band as tightly as I can around the cord to help seal it in.  It isn't 100% (like I would jump in the river), but so far it's been tight enough to keep my iPod from getting ruined.

Additionally, being a bigger runner, I tend to sweat a lot.  So on day when I know that my shorts are going to get soaked, I baggie my iPod.  A box of cheap zip lock baggies costs about $1.50 for 50 of them.  I use them once and then toss them.  Grab a couple rubber bands from anywhere you can find them and you're good to go.

Like I said... it's not 100%... but it's certainly better than nothing.  And it keeps me from worrying about whether or not my iPod will get ruined.

Keep running friends!
Jim


Disclaimer (if you're into that sort of thing): Jim is not a professional runner nor is this blog endorsed by any company.  These thoughts are merely the thoughts and experiences on one runner.  What works and what doesn't work from a practical level.  Jim hasn't set any records, but he's run a few races (Marathon: 4h 22m / Half-Marathon: 2h 3m / 5k: 22m 57s) and he's been around the block!

No comments:

Post a Comment