Monday, April 16, 2007

BASICS Week 1 Outline

Here is the outline and breakdown from last night's High Voltage. We started a new series called "BASICS Spring Training." We're talking through this idea of personal discipleship and what that means on a practical-give-me-something-to-do-kinda-way.
------------------
Lesson Topic: BASICS Week 1 - Getting in the Gym (Beginning Personal Discipleship)
'Fun Factor': Average
Volunteer Involvement: Above Average
Music: N/A
Student Involvement in Music: N/A
Lesson Quality: Above Average
Length of Lesson: 40 minutes (with 1 5 minute video clip)
Student Response: Above Average
Overall Night Rating (scale of 1(not good) to 10(awesome)): 7

------------------------
BASICS Spring Training
Week 1 – Getting In the Gym
High Voltage – April 15, 2007 – Jim Clark
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

Intellectual Social Emotional Physical Spiritual

Truths about Spiritual Growth: It’s going to be hard.
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Cor. 9:25-27

You will have to be intentional.
Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight. 1 Timothy 1:18

There will be times when you will fail.
Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:4

You can make it.
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 1 Timothy 6:12
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence — continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Philippians 2:12-13

Exercises to building that perfect body.
B Bible Study

A Accountability

S Spending Time with God

I Involvement In Big Church

C Commitment to Give

S Scripture Memorization
Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God. Hebrews 6:1

Action Steps:
Commit to being here through out the series.

Consider practical steps to go deeper in your faith.

Carry out plans to deepen your relationship with God.

The Bottom Line: Living a life that looks like Jesus is hard, but it can be done with discipline and hard work… if you’re willing.


----------------------
Discussion Questions:
1. Which of the five areas are you currently growing the most in? the least?
2. Is spiritual growth something that sounds interesting? Why or why not?
3. Which of the 6 exercises sounds like it will be the easiest? hardest? Why?
4. Where do you find yourself in the action steps... Needing to commit? Needing to consider? Needing to carry out? Why?

---------------------
Overall the night was great as we launched this new series.


Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment