Sunday, May 27, 2007

High Voltage - BASICS Week 7 - Scripture Memorization

Tonight was a great night. We wrapped up the BASICS series and played some "Trashketball."

Here's the rundown:
Lesson Topic: BASICS Week 7 - Hiding God's Word in My Heart
'Fun Factor': Above Average
Volunteer Involvement: Below Average
Music: N/A
Student Involvement in Music: N/A
Lesson Quality: Above Average
Length of Lesson: 32 minutes (with video clip)
Student Response: Average
Overall Night Rating (scale of 1(not good) to 10(awesome)): 7

Here is the outline from tonight's talk about Scripture Memorization:
BASICS Spring Training
Week 7 – Hiding God’s Truth
High Voltage – May 27, 2007 – Jim Clark
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

Two Rhetorical Questions:
What do you have committed to memory?
What occupies space in your memory?
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

Some promises from God’s Word:
-God’s Word GUIDES me.
Keyword: DIRECTION
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another in with all wisdom. Colossians 3:16
These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Deuteronomy 6:6-8

-God’s Word FEEDS me.
Keyword: GROWTH
When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O Lord God Almighty. Jer. 15:16
Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge. Proverbs 23:12

-God’s Word STRENGTHENS me.
Keyword: TEMPTATION
How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:9-11
I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word. Psalm 119:15-16

Some goals for a growing Christian and God’s Word:
DESIRE it… DELIGHT in it… DEVOUR it… DISPLAY it…
Blessed is the man (person) who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:1-2

Some ideas for developing the practices of Bible Memorization:
1. Determine if the benefits are worth the EFFORT.

2. Gather some verses to MEMORIZE.
Verses that: challenge/protect/guide/promise/encourage/instruct

3. Commit to a PLAN to develop the practice of memorizing Scriptures

Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8

The Bottom Line: Memorizing God’s Word isn’t simply about information… it’s about TRANSFORMATION.
--------------------------

Discussion Questions:
1. What are some of the random things that you have committed to memory and why do you think you memorized them? School? Personal? Repeated use?
2. What do you think would be the benefit of memorizing Scripture on a regular basis?
3. What sort of plan can we begin to help you with the discipline of hiding God's Word in your heart?
-------------------------

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment