Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Weekend in Review - BASICS week 6 - Getting Involved with BIG Church

Here is this past weekend's outline... Sorry for my forgetfulness...

BASICS Spring Training
Week 5 – Having Quiet Time In the Midst of Madness
High Voltage – May 13, 2007 – Jim Clark
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

The Birth of the Church
Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?” Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.” Acts 2:12-13

Awe = God was a draw… People followed his ways…

Mocked = Many people walked away… went the way of the world…

They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. Acts 2:42-47

What’s your response?
World’s Message God’s Message Church’s Response
-I’m all I Need Orphan without Christ GATHER
-I plan my life God gives direction SEEK
-I’m in control God is in control WORSHIP
-I can use people God uses people RELY

Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. Romans 12:4-5

Getting Involved in the Church Body

1. Commit to God’s plan for the church.
Jesus said… “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” John 10:11
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry “Abba, Father.” Romans 8:15

2. Refuse to confuse attendance for spiritual growth.
Jesus said… “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5

3. Find your role in the church body.
Then we will not longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who the Head, that is, Christ. Ephesians 4:14-15

The Bottom Line: The church isn’t perfect… but, God’s power is amazing. Will you mock and walk or be in awe and be drawn to Christ’s body?


Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment