Friday, December 21, 2007

I Am Legend... was incredible yesterday!!


Yesterday was the first day of my Christmas vacation.

I celebrated by spending a couple of hours playing "Rock Band" with Jeff and Steve. Then Steve and Todd and I took in "I Am Legend" on the IMAX at Randall 15.

It was incredible!!!! Visually stunning!!! A fascinating story that I loved from start to finish. I'm not usually one to get startled at movies when something is scary or something jumps up suddenly. But there were a few times during the movie when I just about jumped out of my chair.

The movie itself was incredible on the IMAX screen. NYC looked totally abandoned... which was the intent... and the storyline kept me guessing until the end.

Plus, Will Smith turned in "Tom Hanks in Cast Away" performance that was incredible. Most of the movie was featuring him and "Sam"... his dog with some flashbacks to fill in the story line. I think what I enjoyed about the movie is that it didn't end all "happy and neat." I won't ruin the ending and what happens in case you are planning to see it.

But if you are, I would definitely see it before it gets out of theaters. It's incredible.

We also had another motive for seeing it on IMAX. For those who venture to IMAX to see "I Am Legend," they are treated to the first 7 minutes of "The Dark Knight," the new Batman movie coming out next summer. Let me just say... "WOW!!!" I had my concerns about Heath Ledger as "The Joker." But I don't anymore. It was incredible. I already can't wait.

So there is a double pleasure for seeing it on IMAX if you can... The Dark Knight preview and I Am Legend. Certainly worth the extra price of admission.



Jim

3 comments:

  1. I saw "I am Legend" (not in IMAX, unfortunately) and would agree with you about 90%. I was startled, was kept guessing, and really liked the ending as you did. However, I thought it was a bit slow at some points as I waited for the next big noise to make me jump.

    I do have a question. There were four of us who saw the movie. two thought the "girl" that was almost cured was that main "zombie"'s girlfriend while two of us disagreed. What do you think? Do you even know what I am talking about? Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey bro,

    Hope your vacation is going well! I went with Eric Sickbert last Thursday to see "I am Legend." Unfortunately, not on IMAX so we didn't get to see the Dark Knight promo...

    I really liked the movie as well. I would agree with Joel that there were some slow points, but overall the movie was great. I would also agree that the one girl was the "zombie's" girlfriend. Why else would he risk exposure to the sunlight and the elaborate plot for revenge?

    I thought your connection with Tom Hanks and "Castaway" was interesting. I hadn't thought of that before. I'll try not to ruin anything for those who haven't seen the movie, but there are some definite Sam/Wilson connections.

    We are doing a series next June called "God at the Movies", so I have been evaluating movies for spiritual themes. This one definitely hit home with the idea of listening to God. Even when there are no other distractions, we still have to make the conscious choice to listen for God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel and Chris...
    I would have to agree that I thought that the 'girl zombie' was the 'alpha male's' girlfriend. I think that's why he 'screamed' at Will's character when he captured her. I also think that the 'alpha male' set the trap near the museum that Will found himself upside down in. But that's another opinion. But I think you're right, why would he go after him if that wasn't his 'girl.'

    Chris...
    I think that clip from I Am Legend... "the Butterfly" would make a great teaching illustration for your series. And I would guess that the movie will be out on DVD before then so you could score a copy for that week. That would be excellent!!


    Jim

    ReplyDelete