Thursday, January 25, 2007

the IPhone Diet

Recently, Jackie and I started a little contest. I have something she wants (in fact, too much of it) and there is something that I want.

It not hard to see that there is too much Jim on me... I could definately use to lose a few pounds. And I would really like to get an IPhone. (Here's a link just so you can oohh and aahh at it's beauty and awesomeness...) But the estimated $600 is a little more than I can handle.

So Jackie and I made a deal. If I lose 75 pounds by this summer, she will buy me an IPhone! Sounds like a pretty awesome deal to me. It's a lot of weight... It's also a lot of money... But we decided to go for it. The weight loss itself would put me back at my program weight from high school which would be pretty awesome.

At the beginning of 2007, I weighed in at 299!!! Holy Cow!!!
This morning, since starting the IPhone diet, that's my name for my project, about 2 weeks ago, I weighed in at 291. That puts me 71 pounds short of my goal, but down 8 or 9 pounds from the beginning of the year. But I haven't just be trying... I've got a plan.

Here's my plan:
1. Portion size!!! Portion size!!! Portion size!!! Portion size!!!
I eat like a horse and I need to cut that back. I eat every meal like it's my last. There's no reason for that. So, I've been cutting back on portion sizes. I've also been cutting out the unhealthy snacks... chips, etc... and replacing it with fruit.
2. Drink 8 glasses of water a day.
It keeps you going to the bathroom when you first start. So, I guess that's good because at least I'm getting a little bit of exercise. But I've pretty much cut out the soda and replaced it with water. And I drink 8 glasses (2 full Nalgene bottles) every afternoon.
3. Go for a walk 5 days a week.
Jackie and I have been walking together on Fridays and Saturdays. The other walks come in the morning after she gets up and goes to work. I jump on the treadmill, turn on an episode of 24 and walk for the whole show (about 43 minutes). The episodes of 24 give me something to look forward to, something to make the time go by quicker and a reasonable timeframe to walk through. Just left to myself on the treadmill, most days I can barely make it 30 minutes. But the extra 10-12 minutes pushes me most days over 2 1/4 miles!!

Simple things. Simple things that I'm hoping over the next 5 months will add up to an IPhone!!! I realize that the first 10 to 20 pounds are the easiest. And then it will get harder. But I'm ready for that too... I've got a couple of new goals up my hoodie sleeve!

Hopefully the pounds will be falling off!!! And soon I'll be chatting, listening to music and watching movies on my IPhone! I guess it's called motivation.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment