Monday, January 08, 2007

a sweet example of fellowship

Last night I saw a sweet example of fellowship.

After church as over last night, Will and Matt invited me to go to their indoor soccer game at 9:15pm. Normally the only activity that I want to do after Sunday night church is an awesome grilled cheese made by my wife and a little time on the couch crashing (previous to this weekend I would have said Sunday Night Football... but since the playoffs started, SNF is finished).

I've been feeling guilty for not making it to as many students' sporting events as I used to, so after some thought, I decided to go. Good thing I did.

Will and Matt's team got beat pretty soundly. But about 5 minutes into the first half, one of Will's friends Amanda (who came to a service project that we did back in November) who is one the team got clubbed in the knee by one of the members of the other team. She was hurting pretty bad. When she tried to get up, she really couldn't put very much pressure on her hurt leg. So Will had her jump on his back and he gave her a piggy-back ride to the sidelines and the bench so she didn't have to walk.

He probably didn't think about it, but for me it reminded me of Ecclesiastes 4:10... "If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

Will was just doing what was natural for a friend who was in need. And that's a true sign of friendship and friendship is a basic building block of fellowship.


JC


No comments:

Post a Comment