Sunday, March 18, 2007

High Voltage Outline - March 18, 2007

Tonight was a great night. We've got one more week of the sex series left. It's the open mic/Q and A session. We've had some good feedback from the series, I'm hoping and praying that we'll have some good conversation.

---------------
Lesson Topic: What's the Big Deal with Sex? Week 6: What if I've Messes Up?
'Fun Factor': Average
Volunteer Involvement: Below Average
Music: N/A
Student Involvement in Music: N/A
Lesson Quality: Average
Length of Lesson: 45 minutes (with 1 video clip and an extended imagination experience thrown in)
Student Response: Above Average
Overall Night Rating (scale of 1(not good) to 10(awesome)): 7

----------------
What’s the BIG Deal with Sex?
Part 6-What if I’ve messed up?
High Voltage – March 18, 2007 – Jim Clark
“To the Jews who had believed in him, Jesus said, ‘If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.’” John 8:31-32
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full.” John 10:10

The truth about mistakes…They keep me from living life to its fullest (John 10:10)
I can do very little on my own about them (Romans 7:15-17)

The truth about Jesus… He understands temptation (Hebrews 4:15)
He understands pain (John 11:35)
He understands sexual sin (John 8:1-11)

THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT BAD DECISIONS
My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear. My wounds fester and are loathsome because of my sinful folly. I am feeble and utterly crushed; I groan in anguish of heart Psalm 38:4,5,8

1. God FORGIVES
“As far the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions (sins) from us. Psalm 103:12

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

2. God FORGETS
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense- Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.1 John 2:1-2

STARTING OVER
“If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has gone; the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17

1. Forgive YOURSELF
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions – it is by grace you have been saved. Ephesians 2:4-5

2. Confide in a trusted FRIEND
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. James 5:16

3. Live as if you’re FORGIVEN
Blessed (happy) is he whose transgressions (sins) are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not count against him, and in whose spirit is no deceit. Psalm 32:1-2

4. Base your life on God’s DIRECTION
Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in humility that comes from wisdom. James 3:13

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I said, ‘You are my servant.’ I have chosen you and have not rejected you. Isaiah 41:10

The Bottom Line:
Sexual mess-ups are PAINFUL, but don’t have to END your relationship with God.
------------------

Questions for Discussion:
1. Do you feel as if there are some things in your life that are too huge to forgive?
2. How does it feel to know that even though there are some huge things in your life, God can forgive you and is still crazy about you?
3. Can you accept God's forgiveness and allow him to free you from your past? Why or why not?

-----------------

Overall tonight was a really great message and night. We had an extended "Imagination" session where I read from a book and encouraged them to imagine the scene in their head. It went really well.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment