Thursday, July 03, 2008

Book #6.5... "A Life With Purpose... Rev. Rick Warren"


Recently, a member of FVCC handed me this book... "A Life With Purpose - Reverend Rick Warren: The Most Inspiring Pastor of our Time" by George Mair.

There were already several books on my "waiting to be read list" (books like "Speaking to Teenagers" by Doug Fields and "3:16" by Max Lucado). But since someone handed it to me, it jumped to the top of the list.

It's actually a pretty good book. I had read it before, but it had been some time. The main reason that I read it, aside from the fact that someone gave it to me, was that the person who handed it to me said that when they saw it, "It reminded them of me"!!!!!

Now, that's a pretty big compliment. To be reading or thinking about Rick Warren (the founder of one of the most influential churches in the US... Saddleback) and think or be reminded of me. Wow!

So, I took some time and read it. I enjoyed it. The one major problem with the book, outside of a few typos (like calling the book of Revelation from the Bible "Revelations..." and a few others that were annoying) was that it was completely lacking any footnoting. Many places along the lines, he quotes Rick or his books or others and makes no reference as to where this material comes from. Maybe I'm just spoiled or jaded a little by LCS, but when you quote someone or something, you need to site your source or you run the risk of plagiarism.

Overall, it was a good book. The first half focused on Rick's life, high school life, seminary life and getting the church started and up to speed. The second half spent some time talking about what happens now and the thought and thinking behind Rick's work (i.e.: The Purpose Driven Life book, the Purpose Driven concepts of baseball diamonds and concentric circles and the P.E.A.C.E. Plan that Saddleback is currently working on). All in all, it was a good and easy read.

Thanks to the one who handed it to me. I appreciate the read and the compliment.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment