Friday, August 14, 2009

Done with summer class... Baptism and the Lord's Supper

Yesterday was my last day of my summer class down at LCS, "Baptism and the Lord's Supper in the Early Church.

It was a really good class. There was a lot of reading, which I didn't like. My summer is jammed with so much... CIY, studies, Cedar Point, Jr. High Camp, vacation, etc, etc, etc... that the reading was a bit burdensome at times.

But it was good material. Much of what we read was primary documents (in English) from church fathers (Augustine, Cyril, Cyprian, Tertullian, etc) concerning those two topics, baptism and the Lord's Supper. It was great material... although at times it was tough to put the pieces together. Because we weren't reading from one textbook primarily with other books to supplement, sometimes it was tough to put the pieces together.

One thing that was encouraging. Being a Restoration Movement guy (and if you don't know what that means, ask... I'd be happy to tell you), I was encouraged by how much our movement (Christian Churches) does that is in line with the early church's practices on these two vital church functions. As I read I found myself seeing in their practices what we do in our practice. Now, not exactly in a few obvious places. But it would seem that for the most part, we line up with them. And that was encouraging.

I thought I would have a couple of days or maybe a week off before beginning my fall class readings (Basic Counseling and Biblical Leadership for Today). Mostly because I ordered my books, but they hadn't arrived yet. Well... lo and behold I went out to the mailbox this afternoon and there was the first one...

So I guess I can't hide now...

Jim

And by the way... I got an "A" for the summer class...

No comments:

Post a Comment