Thursday, August 20, 2009

Obama and health care sermons in church??

I was reading a little article today (it's HERE), where President Obama was basically asking Jewish and Christian leaders to preach health care reform to their congregations!

Huh?

""I am going to need your (religious leaders...) help in accomplishing necessary reform," Obama said...Obama told the rabbis that "we are God's partners in matters of life and death" and asked them to "tell the stories of health care dilemmas to illustrate what is a stake" in their sermons, Moline wrote.
"Critics say Obama's message seemed to "cross a line" and imply a kind of "scriptural or holy support for the program.""

You think!!!
It's interesting that he would stoop to this level. Funny thing to me is that if a preacher stood up and told his congregation who to vote for or not vote for in an election, the ACLU would have him and the church sued into the ground. But now it profits his agenda to have churches get on his side.

You've got to be kidding me.

Sorry President Obama. Health care reform and the gospel are miles apart. Since I'm preaching this weekend, I think I'll stick to the gospel. And maybe you should steer clear of telling preachers what you think God is telling you.

I've gotta agree with Rev. Barry Lynn...
"I can't imagine why it would be appropriate for a president even to suggest a partnership with God somehow was connected to his ideas for health care," said the Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State.
"Whenever politicians give a message that implies that God is on their side on an issue ... this always troubles me."


Jim

1 comment:

  1. Not so far apart when you think of Jesus as a healer of all people, regardless of station and our need to have a system in place that will tend to the health of all our people. I think Pres. Obama calls on the faith community because he knows we will go the distance to care for our neighbors.

    ReplyDelete