Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Month of Wisdom - October 12

Stupid is a pretty harsh word. 

In fact, I have heard of several parents banning the word "stupid" from their homes.  (If you are one of those homes and I just introduced the word back into your house, my apologies.)

Many of us would be shocked to find out that the Bible uses the word "stupid".  It's right here in Proverbs 12:1...

Proverbs 12 (New International Version)

 1 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
       but he who hates correction is stupid.


The definition for stupid is, according to Dictionary.com, "lacking common sense."  Seems simple enough.  If I drive down the road and ignore the correction of the speed limit signs and get pulled over, that was stupid... I didn't heed the correction and knowledge of the signs.  If I ignore the law that I should put on my seat belt when I drive and then get into an accident and get hurt because I didn't wear it, that was stupid. 

Most of us don't like the word "stupid" because it sounds harsh and mean.  God's Word says, however, that those who hate correction... especially the correction, knowledge and wisdom that come from God's Word are stupid...

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment