Monday, October 04, 2010

Month of Wisdom - October 4

This month, Pastor Bill has challenged the congregation of North Terrace to spend some time in the book of Proverbs (check out the sermon from October 3rd HERE) as he teaches us through Proverbs between now and Thanksgiving.  He has encouraged us to read the chapter of Proverbs that corresponds with the day of the month that it is... today is the 4th of October, therefore read Proverbs 4. 

So I'm going to start a line of devotional blog posts that correspond with my reading through Proverbs this month.  I used to read Proverbs regularly like this... but stopped in the past couple of years... not sure why.  I'm kinda excited about getting back into this habit.  The hope is that it encourages you.

Proverbs 4:10-13 (NIV)

 10 Listen, my son, accept what I say,
       and the years of your life will be many.

 11 I guide you in the way of wisdom
       and lead you along straight paths.

 12 When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
       when you run, you will not stumble.

 13 Hold on to instruction, do not let it go;
       guard it well, for it is your life.


When I started running a couple of years ago, I had no idea what I was doing.  The first time, I put on my shoes and headed outside.  But I had tons of questions.  What kind of shoes to get?  What kind of clothes to buy?  How much to run?  How hard to train?  How to handle specific issues that I was facing (like blisters, etc)?  What time during the day should I run?  How far was a mile?  But I had no idea what I was doing... since I had never done it before.

Thankfully, I found several good friends surrounding me who were regular runners.  They possessed the wisdom that I desired.  In order to achieve the answers that I needed, all I needed to do was ask.  I could have continued to try to figure it out on my own... Or I could just ask someone. 

That's wisdom.  Asking someone who's been there and done that.  One of the greatest helps to my running was getting a monthly subscription to "Runner's World Magazine."  Every month it comes packed with great advice, tips and ideas about running from folks who learned the hard way. 

Why go through life learning the hard way?  Why not go to the source of wisdom (God's Word) and dig into His wisdom (Proverbs...)? 

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment