Friday, March 21, 2008

His Ways... Day 12... Mark Batts

Today's devotion... by Mark Batts... is from John 13:21:

"After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me.""

Mark gave us some great thoughts about betrayal today. I especially enjoyed Mark's stories about his children. But his conclusion really got me.

Most of the time, when we do something sinful... whether its premeditated or not... we often feel like no one will know. But that simply isn't true... as Mark reminded me today. God knows. And he sees that betrayal in a similar fashion to the betrayal that Jesus felt from Peter and Judas... two guys that I have often drawn comparisons between. The actions of both were similar (betrayal of Jesus... one to authorities... one to bystanders... but both betrayals). The difference was in the outcome.

But I guess I don't think often of my sinfulness in terms of betrayal. But it is. Mark says this, "When we sin, we are betraying God's grace and sacrifice. Whether it is a huge glaring betrayal like Judas' or a little white lie to protect ourselves like Peter, we have not lived up to the example set by Christ."

Thanks for the thoughts Mark.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment